A pleasant hike this morning around Sunken Meadow SP produced my FoS Hooded
Mergansers- a pair diving on the upper section of Sunken Meadow
Creek.  Nonetheless, the best bird of the day was undoutedly an American
Bittern
that I flushed along the Inner Marsh trail.  Initially, the bird flew from a
section of phragmites bordering the trail into the heart of the marsh where I
lost sight of him.  Other birds of note included 25+ Purple Finch, 1 Chipping,
1
Field, 5 Savannah, and 3 White-crowned Sparrows in addition to the numerous
Song, Swamp, and White-throated Sparrows. Dark-eyed Juncos and a few Eastern
Towhees were also present in different sections of the park bringing my sparrow
total to 9 species.  Also, a Red-throated Loon was feeding off the beach on the
LI Sound viewed from Field 2.  Cooper's and Red-tailed Hawks were very vocal
today, being heard a good portion of the time while in the western half of the
park.

Vinny Pellegrino
picasaweb.com/vinnypelle
East Northport, NY

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live the life you've
imagined."

-Henry David Thoreau