The Prothonotary Warbler in mid-town Manhattan (New York City)
continued, as it did the day before - & going on all good
informational evidence, for the past several weeks or more - at the
front of the New York Public Library on Fifth Avenue and 41 Street,
the bird often appearing in the plantings and out in the open just to
the south of the "left" lion statue, and also going to the north side,
right of the "right" lion statue on occasion. (The 2 lions cannot be
missed when viewing the main front entrance to the library building
from Fifth Ave. at 41 Street). In the afternoon today the warbler was
possibly putting in as much time at the north side as elsewhere. Also
continuing were several Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers in the nearby locust
trees.  A number of observers were gathered watching the warbler.

Last Saturday and again this day, the warbler was observed finding
miniscule insect life and consuming that food, which it did many
hundreds of times on Saturday, beginning as early as 8:20 a.m. that
morning with ambient air temperature running in the 50 F. range, and
this week seeing a return of generally mild weather for the date. This
individual is not, thus far, merely surviving on the detritus or on
hand-outs from humans despite its having learned to take some foods
left or offered by us (us being humans, not referring more
specifically to birders in this instance).   Obviously should the bird
stay on the insect life available naturally will diminish, and may do
so drastically in due course. An interesting aside here might be to
ask how often is it that Prothonotary Warblers see snow - do some
arrive in parts of their typical / known breeding and migratory ranges
to experience spring snows? The species is found in far northern areas
(compared with N.Y. City) including a good part of NY state and
immediately west in the breeding season. I'm not aware of the records
and how they stand in terms of likelihood for snowfall but would think
that like many migrants, these may come into the U.S. early enough to
experience snowfalls at times. It also could be argued (perhaps
endlessly) that some of the migrants survive and some do not. I'm
simply adding my 2 cents, I suppose in suggesting that this individual
and others of its' species, as well as a great many tropical-wintering
species of birds including many familiar to us in the northeast, do
see harsh weather and at least some survive through bouts of difficult
weather. It's clearly another thing to make it through a winter in the
northeast, even in a relatively sheltered place such as mid-town
Manhattan. If the bird really loves the area that much it might get
itself to the atrium where so many birds have over-wintered indoors at
57th & Madison, less than 1 mile north in Manhattan. It won't, and it
may be that if it hasn't the urge, instinct, ability, whatever it
takes, to fly out to warmer climes soon, it won't be too likely a
survivor here.  It will of course not affect the species' status as
this is still a common bird in the parts of the world where it has
long been. (I'd privately predicted the entire discussion that has
ensued recently on this list as to feeding & survival etc. - now all I
would ask is that no one see fit to give this bird a human name. It is
emphatically not anyone's pet even if it were to feed out of a human
hand... it is a wild creature and is in a very small place of refuge
(for now) from the dramatically nearby bustle of the center of a
metropolis.  We did not bring it to this place; perhaps we should not
be trying to bring it away.  Besides, it is now experiencing a life
that very very few Prothonotary Warblers likely even "dream" of. Were
this a Bachman's Warbler, the discussion might already be over as to
what to do about it.  Indeed it would be interesting to see what would
ensue were it a Kirtland's Warbler as that bird is under federal
protective laws. This one is too, actually, but not to the same extent
and rightfully so. Anyone interfering with this bird is however in
some small way potentially changing the manner of it's ongoing visit
to this place.  In my opinion it would be wrong to take this bird away
and try to release anywhere, including into a tropical place for the
coming winter. If there is someone who can read the mind of this bird
it is probably beyond the scope of this list... I again note that for
now, with mild weather, the bird is feeding on miniscule insect-
invertebrate life in its present location, and I believe it is
possible that it is (for now) obtaining sufficient energy for survival
(for now) with that food intake.  As for the crumbs and hand-outs,
sure - if a friend offers me a piece of candy I more often than not
accept.  At Fifth Avenue & 41 Street there are a lot of NYC delicacies
possible, although the typical "offerings" appear to be mostly
mundane.  A nice bagel & cream cheese perhaps but all that plain
bread?  All right, I can see that this bird is already a bit of a New
Yorker - it has some attitude. I've seen it 'elbow' away some larger
and far more (usually) aggressive House Sparrows in going after a
choice tid-bit.  The bird is endeared to us in part due to this
behavior. If it were the more typical skulking behavior of a
Prothonotary it might not be seen as often and as well as this one has
been.  The "choice" of location is obviously out of "character" as
most of its' kind are swamp-loving and that habitat preference is
usually strong even on migratory stop-overs.  When was the last
Prothonotary you observed in this sort of ultra-urban place? If you
did, for how long did it linger?

Good birding,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan