Gabriel and all,

On some days at least, at times the Prothonotary Warbler referred to
below has been observed in the locust trees adjacent to the main
entrance of the New York Public Library at 41 Street on Fifth Avenue
and that warbler has been seen a number of times in the vicinity of
where (multiple) sapsuckers have been: on at least some occasions just
moments or even seconds "behind" a sapsucker and investigating the sap
wells. However as you allude to, it had not been seen actually seeming
to attempt feeding from them, as many other insectivores with a taste
for something sweet (nectar etc.) such as often seen with Cape May and
some other warblers, for example. If this (or any) Prothonotary were
to actually stay on & survive into the Xmas bird count period here it
would of course provide an unheard-of record on that event, locally.
There are a fair number of records of the species on CBC's in the USA
but I assume most are from our southernmost states. There is an
apparent record from NY listed in the National Audubon Society
database for CBC season 72, which is the count year 1971-72, yet in
the edition of Birds of New York, under the species account by Paul R.
Sweet, it is stated that "there are no substantiated CBC or winter
records" and the latest "extreme" date given is for 15 Oct. (coastal)
so the Nat'l. Audubon Soc. record is perhaps in question. (Anyone have
direct knowledge of that NY state CBC record?) The normal winter range
of Prothonotary Warbler is from Mexico into northern S. America, not
the USA.

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan

Begin forwarded message: