Manhattan also got its fair share of birds today. Though the time I spent in
the field was relatively limited, quantity and quality made up for it. A 15
minute excursion around the Upper West Side produced good numbers of several
species of birds, most of which were in west-bound morning flight:

Double Crested Cormorant 14
Yellow-breasted Sapsucker 3, including 1 on a sidewalk tree
Northern Flicker 6
Black Capped Chickadee 3, urban trees
Kinglet Sp. 15
Am. Robin 400 was a conservative count. Near constant stream.
Cedar Waxwing 6
Warbler Sp. 8 (prob yellow-rumped)
Dark-eyed Junco 20
Emberizid Sp. 50 (mostly junco)
Red-winged Blackbird 40
Common Grackle 100

A relatively brief excursion to Central Park with Lila Fried in the afternoon
was also productive, despite the small amount of area covered. Black-capped
Chickadees, White-throated Sparrows and Hermit Thrushes are all still present
in good numbers, though the White-throats and Hermits seem to be peetering out.
The species highlight of the day was a fresh looking VESPER SPARROW on the
rocks of Belvedere castle. Looking at this bird from above was quite an
interesting angle! Also, a single PINE SISKIN was at the feeders while we went
by. Good to see they've made it to Manhattan. A FOX SPARROW was also in the
vegetation south of Tupelo meadow. Ardith Bondi posted EASTERN BLUEBIRD to the
ebirdsnyc yahoo group this morning. Other semi-late migrants included GRAY
CATBIRD, 2 EASTERN PHOEBE and EASTERN TOWHEE.

Good Birding,
Jacob Drucker
Manhattan