There was a Philadelphia Vireo on a Yellow Rod an hour ago in our
rental property 236 Dune Rd.Quogue. I also saw and heard about a score
of Pine Siskins overhead, Swamp and White-Crowned Sparrows and an
immature Cooper's Hawk on the property.
I have been here since Oct 7, relocated from Shelter Island for a
month or for some Striped Bass fishing.
Since than the most notable bird was a Yellow Breasted Chat on Oct9,
couldn't report it as I had no connection to the internet at the time.
I had all the expected birds for this time of the year for the barrier
beach. The only one I was surprised to see was a female Hairy
Woodpecker which stayed for three days, spending all its time on the
dead Japanese Pines getting in and out of Flicker holes.
Another surprise to me was a Field Sparrow and the lack of Kestrel on
the beach at this time. The dissapointment was not finding any
Clay-colored Sparrows among the Chipping Sparrows which were here for
at least a week. Always nice to see the Red-breasted Nuthatches and
Creeper.
Orhan Birol
Quogue, NY