Monday, 1st of November, 2010 - Rockaway peninsula & vicinity, Queens
County

I do not use the words 'massive' or 'huge' lightly, when referring to
bird migration.
Today that was the only way to describe the movement at the ocean, in
Queens.
Primarily passerine movement with sparrows and Myrtle Warblers most
evident -
but in addition to the tens of thousands of birds - and that is VERY
conservative,
I tallied close observations of a minimum of 15 CAVE Swallows along
with 300+
other swallows, primarily Tree (as might be expected in November) but
also the
most Rough-winged (and note I am not pre-fixing the name Northern)
Swallows
(as well as Bank & Barn Swallows) I recall ever seeing this late.
Those 15 Cave
were all in a group that flew at low level along the beach at the
Rockaways next
to Beach 88 Street. All were together (within about 15 seconds) and
going S-W.
Much more to mention later...

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan