I started out this morning at the Coast Guard Station where the sand spit was
devoid of birds.  I tried scoping out the flats across the channel, but the
foggy conditions didn't help.  So I resorted to walking the median where there
were several flocks of Pine Siskins, Goldfinches, and a suprise male Red
Crossbill.  Raptors observed included Northern Harriers, Sharp-shinned Hawk, 1
Cooper's Hawk, and a Peregrine Falcon.  After checking the median I headed back
over to the Coast Guard Station where the fog was no longer present and the sun
even popped out for a bit.  A Harbor Seal greeted me as I approached the edge
of
the dock- pretty neat.  On the water were a pair of Common Eider, 1
White-winged
Scoter, 1 Long-tailed Duck, 4 Great Cormorants, lots of DC Cormorants, and
several Common Loons.  On the exposed flats were many American Oystercatchers
and among them was the Marbled Godwit.  An American Bittern that popped out of
the marsh for a short time was a nice suprise.  Before leaving, a Common Snipe
flew over calling.

At the Nature Center, the Northern Shrike continues.  Also present were several
Horned Larks, a  flock of Snow Bunting, and 2 Eastern Meadowlarks.

Vinny Pellegrino
picasaweb.com/vinnypelle
East Northport, NY

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live the life you've
imagined."

-Henry David Thoreau