Today, Renee Davis and I did something we hadn't done in a long time.  We
chased birds on Long Island and we weren't  disappointed.  We first headed to
Jones Beach, where we were immediately greeted by the LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE,
perched right on the boardwalk just in from the entrance.  It fed continually
while we were there, shooting down into the grass, grabbing something and
flying back up to eat it on the rails. We stopped at the Coast Guard Station
where we had an assortment of geese, gulls and mergansers.  A beautiful male
Harlequin Duck flew right in next to the piers for decent photo opts.  We then
headed north to Sunken Meadow Park where we found many birders viewing the very
cooperative HERMIT WARBLER!  Things were going so well that we decided to head
south and try for the not recently seen Common Ground Dove.  During our search
of Captree Park we found only a Hermit Thrush.  At one stop Renee spotted a
Northern Gannet which we able to get in the scope.  It was a nice day.  Back in
Sullivan, for those who may be interested, EVENING GROSBEAKS have again
returned to the county.  Sue Rayano is welcoming birders to her feeders at the
corner of Cooley Mt. Road and Smith Road.  She has had about three birds daily,
several times a day.  Another flock of 11 birds were found yesterday and might
be seen just about anywhere on the winter finch tour in my book.  Good luck if
you come! John Haas