Friday, 31 December 2010 - Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

It wasn't for lack of looking that I did NOT come up with the long-
lingering Varied Thrush in the park today - I believe it may still be
around, and perhaps was even seen by some of the many others who came
seeking it, through its recent haunts?  In the area where it had
mainly been seen, there were a good variety of more common species,
including at least 3 "red" Fox Sparrows, 2 male Eastern Towhees, and 4
species of woodpeckers (N. Flicker, Y.-b. Sapsucker, Downy, & Red-
bellied) - while the Red-headed (no red really showing yet) Woodpecker
is still around the south path at Sheep Meadow, near the SE corner
there, just north of the 66 Street transverse. At least two American
Woodcock were found in 2 separate areas, one at the lake shore,
another at the parks' north end by the Pool.  On the reservoir
continue a variety of mainly expected waterfowl & Pied-billed Grebes,
American Coots, and gulls of the 3 most typical winter species.  A
good number of American Robins have arrived in the park in the past
week, with continuing roving flocks of Common Grackles all about and
sometimes swarming at the Ramble's feeders.  The park is starting to
thaw a bit yet icy slush & snow hold their grip quite a while in many
places. All the tourists are an unending source of human activity, in
the many tens of thousands daily.  It is likely that a thorough search
of the entire park could turn up nearly 60 species even with the
recent snow, if one were included fly-by/over raptors & etc.
-  -  -  -  -
_______
Although almost as far from our area as can be, I thought to mention a
very nice non-profit organization that is of benefit to birds and
other wildlife, and can be supported by - and is very supportive of -
visiting birders, who are in the 'relatively' un-birded part of the
world sometimes known as Indochina, specifically in the nation of
Cambodia, and more specifically at the city which has grown greatly
thanks to increasing interest in the ancient ruins and renovation of
those ruins at Siem Reap - the organization named for a pioneering
native Cambodian wildlife researcher and birder extraordinaire - the
Sam Veasna Center for Wildlife Conservation - if anyone is planning a
trip to that area, they'll arrange in advance with email, for
excellent guides and visits to any number of wonderful sites, from day-
trips to multi-day trips and accommodations for single travelers or
groups, all benefitting the local communities and good conservation
efforts in that country. A nice website for the center is:
http://www.samveasna.org/home.php
     The nation of Cambodia hosts a good number of species, including
some charismatic larger birds that have nearly disappeared in much of
the region, with the conservation efforts seemingly succeeding in a
number of that country's protected areas. (Among the better-known of
these rare large birds is their national bird, the Giant Ibis.) I
don't normally go on too much about travels so far from home but the
organization noted, 'SVC' for shorthand, is really special & deserves
much support and definitely a visit if going.

A happy & healthy 2011 to all - and lots of great birds!

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan