First, health, happiness and good birding in 2011 !
Second, I saw the above at the same spot it was last reported from (the w/s of
the s/end of Agawam Lake, Southampton, Suffolk, Co.) from  about 3-3:30 PM, on
Fri. 12/31/10. It's interaction with a family of 6 Mute Swans (2 adults & 4
fully sized, white & gray/brown juveniles) was quite surprising. At first the
trumpeter stayed by itself, approx. 50' from the mutes, while it continuously
"bobbed" it's neck, in what I took to be nuptial behavior. As I was scoping the
bird, trying to read the #'s on it's wing tag, it began to beat it's wings and
started to run away from the hard charging  mute cob. Neither bird took flight,
and after a short distance, both birds stopped running on the ice, but kept
their distance. After a few minutes, the triumphant mute waddled back to it's
family- this "reverse aggression" was the first surprise ! I now have witnessed
3 confrontations between these 2 species, with the trumpeter prevailing in the
first 2 !
The 2nd surprise came when the trumpeter started moving toward the mute clan,
stopping every 6, or so, steps, to gauge their reaction to his bold move...all
the while continuing to do his(?)  neck "bobs".  The trumpeter made it all the
way to about 3' of a resting juvenile, who after about 30 seconds, arose and
just stood there. Another moment or two went bye before the mute cob stood up,
and slowly started walking toward the "outsider", but not with his wings spread
upwards, as in his earlier attack. Seeing this, the young mute started to
advance toward the trumpeter also. Sizing this pincer movement up, the
trumpeter turned, and began heading slowly for it's own section of the ice.
Although both species looked to be about the same size overall, both mute
bodies appeared to be heavier than the trumpeter's. In addition to having a
yellow tag on each wing, the trumpeter had a silver metal band on one leg,
between it's knee & ankle...but, I'm quite ashamed to admit not remembering
which one ! Not one, but 2 "senior moments"- not taking notes, as well as
relying on my memory!
Cheers, Bob