Wednesday, 12 January 2011 - Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

The lingering VARIED THRUSH was in view early this morning, but not
exactly in the area where most seekers look, rather it joined a
sizable flock of more common wintering birds on the north side of the
East 79 / West 81 Streets Transverse Road & a bit farther west than
they more often have been congregating, as viewed from the path along
the south side of (frozen) Turtle Pond and a bit towards Belvedere
Castle (farther west away from the park's E. Drive roadway) - this
area may have been in use by this flock due to heavier snow cover
elsewhere, or possibly again to the presence of a lingering male
Cooper's Hawk, which was also making its regular rounds thru the
feeders in the Ramble again. Just before the Cooper's came through, 2
PINE SISKINS joined about 50+ American Goldfinches swarming the
feeders, along with over 130 additional birds near or at the feeders,
the majority White-throated Sparrows, but also including at least 2
"red" Fox Sparrows and a Swamp Sparrow. Later, at the very frozen
(80%) reservoir, I found at least one additional Swamp Sparrow among
many White-throateds, on the sunny west edge in amongst the phragmites.

The lingering RED-HEADED WOODPECKER (1st-winter) was on the south side
of the 66 Street Transverse Road, a bit west of the carousel early
this a.m. & I didn't stay long to observe any movements.  2 drake Wood
Ducks continued at the Pond at about E. 64 Street (today in the
minimal open water at Gapstow Arch), and yet another Swamp Sparrow was
in the area, with a Brown Thrasher in the zoo. I was allowed in the
outer zoo grounds briefly, in the early a.m.  There were at least 250
Common Grackles in a roost coming out of the area near the park's SE
corner & flying in to the park.  A few birds of interest at Cedar Hill
(in the conifers) included at least 2 Red-breasted Nuthatches. Hermit
Thrush and some more commonly seen wintering species. The park's total
numbers of American Robins seem to have increased just lately, with
more than 200 found this a.m., particularly along the upper west side,
perimeter areas, and various trees with good leftover fruits. I found
(only) 4 Cedar Waxwings at one such tree. There were also roving
flocks of American Goldfinch about.

On the reservoir's icy expanses, an adult Greater Black-backed Gull
made an attack on a Ring-billed Gull: I watched the large predatory
gull quickly attack, kill, & gut the Ring-billed, which got almost all
the many other gulls up and into a bit of a frenzy, many leaving the
reservoir on that incident. With almost no waterfowl or coots or grebe
lingering at the reservoir, the park is in true "winter mode" as far
as overall bird diversity is concerned. A lot of the park's ducks may
have simply moved over to areas of the East River including a few
somewhat sheltered coves. At the Conservatory Garden and nearby
(behind the west fence) a Chipping Sparrow has continued on - not
expected now, but a few have occasionally turned up before in Central
even in mid-winter, though perhaps more often by a feeder.

Good birding,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan