I don't have any updates from today, following the snow storm, but I've
received some very interesting information regarding the recent reports of
Barnacle Geese in western Suffolk County, LI.

First, from Tim Dunn, I learned that he observed a Barnacle Goose at Pinelawn
Memorial yesterday afternoon at the same time I and others were watching a
Barnacle Goose at St Charles Cemetery--just a kilometer or two away.

Then, today, I learned from Gary Strauss that the Barnacle Goose he saw at
Pinelawn Memorial yesterday was banded on both legs; the bird that several of
us studied at St Charles on Saturday appeared to me and to Patricia Lindsay to
be unbanded.

To give some background, an unbanded Barnacle Goose was present in this area
from Nov 2008 to Feb 2009--

29 Nov 08 St Charles Cemetery
http://picasaweb.google.com/tixbirdz/LongIslandMiscellany2008#5276791740095327170

6 Dec 08 St Charles Cemetery
http://picasaweb.google.com/tixbirdz/LongIslandMiscellany2008#5276794358820830290

6 Feb 09 Belmont Lake SP
http://picasaweb.google.com/tixbirdz/Various2009#5299787210839441298

15 Feb 09 St Charles Cemetery
http://picasaweb.google.com/tixbirdz/Various2009#5304288584864219714

I can't comment on the presence/absence of bands for the observations from
Belmont Lake SP on Saturday and last evening (at that site, the birds are seen
on the water), or from St Charles yesterday afternoon (owing to distance and
terrain), but it would seem that there are two Barnacle Geese in western
Suffolk County!

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore