At mostly frozen Belmont Lake at first light this morning, the Barnacle Goose
was at the back of a flock of about 500 Canada Geese. The lake also held small
flocks of American Coots, Ring-necked Ducks, Ruddy Ducks, Gadwall and Mallards
and a pair of Hooded Mergansers. When I left at 8:15am most of the geese still
had heads tucked as they hunkered down on the ice, so I could not pick out the
pair of Cackling Geese that I saw last weekend.

A stop at Connetquot River State Park yielded a single flyby Crossbill sp.
(probably white-winged but it disappeared rapidly and permanently into a stand
of pines near the entrance road and I couldn't relocate it).  Other birds
included Belted Kingfisher, Great Blue Heron, Ring-necked Ducks and Gadwall and
the previously reported flock of at least 8 Northern Bobwhite that frequents
the area under the feeders behind the main house. The Bobwhite appeared to
retreat under the house when frightened.

In the early afternoon at the Jones Beach Coast Guard Station there was a third
Lapland Longspur in the midst of a skittish flock of 19 Snow Buntings, in
addition to the two Longspurs associating with a small flock of Horned Larks.
There were a pair of Black-bellied Plover on the sandspit in the Bay beyond the
gazebo, with a nearby flock of Red-breasted Mergansers. The bay otherwise held
very few birds, due at least in part to the boat of duck hunters blasting away
at the few unfortunate Long-tailed Ducks that were fooled by the raft of decoy
the boat was towing.

The non-snow covered bits of Ocean Parkway roadside held many Yellow-rumped
Warblers and numerous Sparrows (including Savannah, "Ipswich" Savannah,
American Tree, Song and White-throated), along with the many small groups of
American Pipits previously reported by David Klauber. A Northern Harrier stood
in for the Rough-legged Hawks that David reported in the morning.

In the heavy surf off Point Lookout in the late afternoon there was a raft of
80 Common Eider near the jetties along with a single Horned Grebe. I could not
find the Harlequin Ducks that were seen earlier in the day, but there were a
pair of Purple Sandpipers mixed in with Dunlin and Sanderling on the 2nd jetty
to the west of the inlet.

Richard Fried
New York City