i am curious to know more about the reported "king eiders", from the "off the wall" location at rye playland. i grew up in westchester and have birded playland since a was 11 (35 years), but i am not familiar with the "wall location".

secondly, i would like to ask the reporter of the king eiders, about what exacyly he saw and when, as it pertains to these eiders. although scoters are expected for the most part, king eider at playland (long island sound) is an extremely rare occurrance. the most likely time frame to see eiders on the sound is in may, during migration on selected evenings when northbound migration conditions are optimum. outside of that window, i'm not sure that a king eider (let alone a pair) has been reported there in maybe, 20 years or more ?

congratulations on your  quite notable find.

JPA

John Askildsen Millbrook, New York