Hello All,      We took a ride out to Montauk this morning primarily to try
for the Eared Grebe seen at Ditch Plains. As we were passing Kellis Pond
along Montauk Highway in Bridgehampton an adult Bald Eagle cruised over the
treetops and scattered Canada's in all directions. At Camp Hero we ran into
Rob Bate and his friend Rich who'd just been looking,unsuccessfully, for the
K.Eiders. We all moved to the other side and again came up short. We did
find several Common Redpolls , a Turkey Vulture and a very lazed out Harp
Seal on the beach north of the concession. Then we moved west to the trailer
park and spent a good deal of time spotting for the Grebe. There were a few
Horned G's out amongst the wind tossed rollers and 2 Purple Sandpipers on
the rocks, but no bullseye on the Eared. Dick Belanger and I left Rob and
Rich at that point and headed back to East Lake Drive. We dipped on the
Western Tanager uphill but had a Red Necked Grebe and 2 Great Cormorants at
the jetty. Lazy Point at Napeague had the usual assemblage plus the biggest
surprise of the day, an early Piping Plover on the shore of Hicks Island. We
ended the afternoon with a stop at Atlantic Ave. Amagansett and nailed our
original target right out front, Eared Grebe. Good March Birding,      Carl
Starace