3/29/11 Long Lake (2 feet of snow on the ground still)

The number of redpolls at our home continues to be remarkable.  Yesterday, I
tried to count them.  I went over 500 redpolls out one window and there were
many more in trees farther from the house where I couldn’t count them.  The
din over the baby monitor (set up to bring the sounds inside) is deafening –
reminiscent of Hitchcock’s “The Birds”!  It is easy to pick out Hoary
Redpolls when there are huge groups on our porch floor.  Pine Siskins
continue to be mixed in.  I haven’t try to count the Evening Grosbeaks, but
it looks like the number has dropped from the 100-110 we had all winter – I
would estimate it is now around 50-60.  As Larry Master often points out,
the number of redpolls that will show up at your location is related to how
many can feed at once.  I have 16 feeders up (which would never accommodate
500+ redpolls), and the birds mostly feed on our porch floor.  I spread
sunflower hearts across 25’ (of a 50’) porch, and across a smaller back
porch – they literally cover these areas shoulder to shoulder as they feed!
Often, I am replenishing the seed hourly through the morning.

I took a late afternoon hike on the Northville-Placid Trail (north).  We
still have 2’ of snow on the ground, but the nights have been so cold, that
you can walk on top and bushwhack anywhere.  At the bridge ½ mile down the
trail, I heard distance woodpecker sounds, which led to a male Black-backed
Woodpecker (I often find them is this area by a brook/marsh).  There were
lots of River Otter slides along the brook.  But the most exciting moment
was finding the snow covered in Snow Fleas!!!  (aka Springtails)  I am
always thankful that no one can see me sitting in the snow in awe of these
ancient creatures!  Finding snow fleas feels like a real sign the season is
changing.

I heard yet another “new” Common Raven vocalization at dawn yesterday –
their different vocalizations seem endless!

Long Lake has a narrow strip of open water under the bridge – just a solo
Canada Goose and 2 Mallards so far!

3/26/11 Tupper Lake

I’ve had several trips to St. Lawrence Co. for various reasons, and on
Saturday, I saw 2 Hooded Mergansers (FOS in the Adirondacks) under the
bridge at the causeway in Tupper Lake – also several Turkey Vultures.

3/25/11 St. Lawrence Co. locations (bare ground for weeks in the St.
Lawrence River Valley areas)

This was a late outing that began at 4 p.m.

Turkey Vulture – many

Northern Harrier – male on Planty Rd. (Town of Madrid)

Amer. Kestrel – Rutherford Rd. (Town of Madrid)

Red-tailed Hawk

Amer. Robin – many

Bohemian Waxwing – 110-115 along Route 37 (Town of Louisville) a few miles
south of the Wilson Hill turn feeding on buckthorn berries; I also found 8
perched outside a house along Route 420 (Town of Norfolk).

Red-winged Blackbird – huge numbers along with Common Grackles at the swamp
(the Great Egret roost location in late summer) along Route 420 (Town of
Stockholm)

Common Grackle – many; (I found a solo Common Grackle in Tupper Lake on 3/17
– FOS in the Adirondacks)

The St. Lawrence River was open (with some bay areas still covered in ice),
so waterfowl were not congregated at Hawkins Point in Massena.

3/24/11 Bloomingdale Bog area (& Tupper Lake causeway sightings; plus one
Long Lake sighting)

I had to drive our older son to the Saranac Lake airport before dawn, so I
spent several hours in the Bloomingdale Bog area after his plane took off
(bitter cold at 13 degrees!).  Here are some of the 28 species found on a
great morning of birding:

Amer. Black Duck – 2, causeway in Tupper Lake

Common Goldeneye – several, causeway

Common Merganser - ~20, causeway

Turkey Vulture – Tupper Lake

Bald Eagle – Tupper Lake

Black-backed Woodpecker – 2 (male & female – pair); I bushwhacked to a male
Black-backed Woodpecker foraging in trees beyond the first bridge/marsh on
the northern Bloomingdale Bog trail (it was west of the trail).  On my way
out (11 a.m.), the bird had moved a few trees to a huge, dead white pine
tree where it was drumming.  It would drum, then preen, drum, then preen,
etc.  I finally realized that it was communicating with another Black-backed
Woodpecker that my ears were just barely picking up.  This bird was way back
in the direction I had just hiked.  So I went back and found a female
Black-backed Woodpecker past the second bridge to the east of the trail.
These birds were quite distant from each other, but obviously communicating.
The female’s behavior was identical – drum, preen, drum, preen!  I watched
them for a long time – after awhile, you could hear them change the drumming
patterns and volume – fascinating!

Pileated Woodpecker

Northern Shrike – 1 along Sabattis Circle Road in Long Lake; The bird was at
the top of a dead snag in the marsh where Little Tupper Lake empties out – I
observed it through my scope for wonderful views!

Gray Jay – 4; 2 different pairs in the Bloomingdale area (one bird carrying
nesting material)

Common Raven

Boreal Chickadee – 2 along Oregon Plains Rd.

Red-breasted Nuthatch – 3 (none found in Long Lake still – I keep wondering
when they will return from wherever they moved this fall/winter/spring)

Brown Creeper – 3 different singing birds!

Golden-crowned Kinglet – several

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Common Redpoll – 3 different flyover flocks at Oregon Plains Rd.

Evening Grosbeak – at least 2 flyover birds at Oregon Plains Rd.

At the Tupper Lake causeway, a River Otter was bringing its food up on the
ice to eat.  I set up my scope and watched it bring a huge fish up to eat!

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY