As of yesterday, April 14, the Mitred Parakeets have returned to Hillcrest, Queens County to feed on cherry blossoms. Today I met Bob Adamo there. We observed 8 birds (there have been as many as 12 so far). Most significantly, we observed a pair copulating. Also of note is that there were no immature birds among the 8, and all the birds had some orange or yellow feathering on the face or body. This unusual plumage may be due to inbreeding or an avicultural morph. I would expect the birds to remain for another couple of days, until the blossoms are spent.

The location is 166th St., on the block north of 82 Rd. The trees that the birds feed in are on the left about 3/4 way up the block. If you go, I would appreciate any observations, especially an accurate count. Please respect private property.

Seth Ausubel
Forest Hills, NY