A half-day bird trip by Alula Birding & Natural History Tours this morning to
Alley Pond Park produced some highlights with decent songbird diversity but low
overall numbers.  Warbler highlights included hooded and blackburnian warbler
but also parula, black-and-white warbler, chestnut-sided, american redstart,
yellow, both black-throated green and blue warblers, and yellow-rumped warbler.
Other songbirds included a few wood thrush and one veery, several male and
female scarlet tanagers, several warbling vireos, several baltimore orioles,
and a pair of rusty blackbirds.

We ran into Mike Cooper at  the beginning of the trip who reported he had seen
a yellow-throated vireo and a rose-breasted grosbeak; birds that Alula
participants did not see (but it was nice to make acquaintances with Mike
again!).

One young owl remains on the nest. We also saw one of the parents perched about
50 yards away northeast of the nest tree.

It was a delightful half-day of birding.

John Turner
Alula Birding & Natural History Tours