Monday, 9 May 2011 - Manhattan, N.Y. City

Central Park continued to enjoy some of the same species it has been
lately, including multiple Cape May Warblers, particularly at the old
bridle path around the reservoir, which has had some nice flocks (of
warblers in particular) in oaks and some other trees in the last few
days. I made a full circuit around the reservoir and found a good mix
of warblers in many trees all around, on each "side" in the morning.
At least 2 sightings of Kentucky Warbler[s] have been reported, one
this morning at the Great Hill's eastern upper edge, by Jim Demes, who
also noted that it sang a bit; and another (presumably different) had
been photographed a few days ago in the Ramble and may have been seen
again, although if so, apparently by just a few observers (out of many
seekers) there... all fairly typical of many Kentucky sightings.  A
number of people commented on this day being a bit less active than
the day before. We are likely due for another push of migrants
sometime soon, perhaps with more females of a lot of species as well
as many more of some typically late-arrivers in the spring "schedule".

   Probably the biggest news from Central Park was the discovery of a
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher nest, in a fairly well-birded location, by some
of the more active migration-period observers in the park. This might
be a first nesting attempt by the species there, unless there are any
very old records. This species has nested in perhaps all the other
boroughs of New York City in recent years.
- - - - - - - - -

At Riverside Park's "drip" and vicinity, migrant activity was about
half or less what it had been on Sunday.  There were some birds, but
not the same movement in the woods nearby, and as a result not all
that much at the "drip" itself.  That said, a male Summer Tanager, &
at least 3 Scarlet Tanagers (2 females and a male) that showed, plus
at least the following ten warbler species, and a feisty (bill-
snapping aggressively at tough House Sparrows) female Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, several male Indigo Buntings, an Eastern Kingbird hanging
around all day, and a few more migrants species was at least some
small reminder of what could be, with sun and perhaps a bit less wind,
a good showing at this small site under the larger wooded bird
sanctuary above.  A lot of birders stopped by as well.  The coverage
went from around 12:30 p.m.- sunset, by a lot of folks at various
times, including Geoff Nulle, who is responsible for a lot of the care
the sanctuary receives, and monitors the birds and conditions in that
area of the park. (We did not see any cuckoos today, nor did a Chat
put in even a brief showing.)

Riverside "drip", 12:30 - 7:30p.m.
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
American Redstart
Ovenbird
Northern Waterthrush
Common Yellowthroat
Wilson's Warbler

There was a report from an experienced observer in Connecticut of a
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, which caught my attention, as I had found a
(as it turns out, quite early) small flycatcher in Riverside Park at
least 2 weeks ago now, which sang in exact match, as well as in
plumage, for that Empidonax species. There are still a lot of that
genus to arrive here and also more of a number of other flycatchers as
well as thrushes, vireos, later warblers, and many other migrant song
and "land" birds.  A lot more of this month still to come.

Good birding,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan