Despite chilly North winds it proved to be a productive morning at Ferncliff in
Rhinebeck, Dutchess cty. The obvious highlight was a jaw-dropping male CAPE MAY
WARBLER that I first found around 9:30 AM calling high in a deciduous tree
along the East Tower Trail. After a brief look I couldn't locate it again for
another 20 mins until I found it again lower down foraging in a group of pines
in the vicinity of the log camping shelter along the trail. This was the first
time I'd ever seen/heard the species in the preserve, bringing my list of
warblers seen there to 29 species in the 3 years that I've been at college in
the region. Besides the Cape May the woods were pretty active with 15 other
warbler species including numerous BLACKBURNIANS, TENNESSEE, NASHVILLE and
CHESTNUT-SIDED amongst the usuals as well as a RED BREASTED NUTHATCH, YELLOW
THROATED VIREOS and LEAST FLYCATCHER.

Ferncliff Forest is located off of Route 199 in Rhinebeck (right across the
Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge) on Mount Rutsen Road, which can be reached by
making the first right at the traffic light onto River Road after crossing over
the bridge. When you reach a fork bear left onto Mt. Rutsen and the preserve
entrance will be on your right shortly after with trail maps available at the
head of the trail. I would have to say that this is in my opinion one of the
most underrated spring warbler spots in NY State and I'm shocked how little
people report from this location considering how productive it is. If your in
the Dutchess county/Hudson Valley region I'd suggest you get to Ferncliff in
the next couple weeks because I've rarely been there on a day that hasn't
produce large quantities of warblers even in half-decent conditions. Also if
any of you are members of Bedford Audubon Society I'll be leading a trip there
this Saturday May 14th at 7:30 AM which you can register for at
www.bedfordaudubon.org.

Good birding-
Ryan MacLean
Bard College