At around 4:10 this morning, I heard the vocalization of a YELLOW RAIL at Peter
Scott Swamp in the town of Schroeppel, Oswego County.   The vocalization was
faint, but distinct;   tic-tic, tic-tic-tic;  tic-tic, tic-tic-tic,  continuous
in the 2-3 pattern.

When I first heard it, I quickly dismissed it as a mis-interpretation of
something else.  But then I heard it again, and then again.  In that same
distinct pattern.  I heard 6 vocalizations of  3-4 verses of the pattern in a
span of 15 minutes, and then the rail went quiet.   So I picked up 2 rocks and
tapped them together to see if I could get the bird to respond.  I immediately
heard some whines and chirps that could have been interpreted as an agitated
animal, but I know of no other vocalization for Yellow Rail except for the 2-3
tapping pattern.  After 20 minutes of waiting I heard the 2-3 tapping pattern
again.  Then quiet, then 2 more verses.  But that was the last I would hear of
it.  That was around 4:50 AM or so.

The area where I heard the bird is on Peter Scott Rd (some maps label it Swamp
Rd, or Peter Scott Swamp Rd) 0.4 miles north of County Route 12
(Phoenix-Caughdenoy Rd) in the town of Schroeppel.  The bird was calling from
the west side of the road, in an area that looks more like a wet field than a
swamp or marsh.

Understanding the rarity of this report, I have been wracking my brain to
figure out what else I could have been hearing, if not a Yellow Rail.   There
were several Virginia Rails calling south of this area where there is more
water, but the kid-dick, kid-dick if the VIRA is also distinct and was easily
contrasted with the tic-tic, tic-tic-tic call I was hearing.   Two years ago,
at least one King Rail spent some time here, but again - that was south of the
area from where this bird was calling.  Anyway, the King Rail's tapping is more
of a repeated tap-tap-tap at regular intervals, and not in a 2-3 pattern.   The
Clapper Rail tap is more similar to the King Rail, but this is not a salt water
habitat.

I would be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts, opinions, etc., on any
other possibilities other than Yellow Rail that this bird could be.  Other than
that, best of luck to anyone who tries to hear this bird.  The weather over the
next few days may be less than ideal for migration, so hopefully it will stick
around for a bit.

Mickey

Mickey Scilingo
Constantia