Good evening,
WHile walking around at Cedarmere (the WC Bryant Estate) in Roslyn,
NY I saw an odd bird (for me). Generally Oriole like but definitely
yellowish with a black chin.
I sketched it and made some notes and came home & looked it up.
What I saw and sketched looked exactly like the immature male Orchard
Oriole in my Peterson's. In the description however it indicates that
some females & immatures have black throats.
So, what did I see? Would a young male bird from last year still have
only the bib? or is it safe to assume it is a female?

Also observed a male Common Yellow Throated Warbler very fixated on
his reflection in the windows of an old abandoned building.
Fluttering about and clinging to the vines in front of the window as
well as the window frame itself to get a better look at the "other"
bird.

This is a very pretty place, it seems to need a little tlc though.
Some areas seem to be being cared for, but be careful if you go -
poison ivy is everywhere - at the base of prominent trees and close
to the edges of the paths.

Thanks

Susan Herbst
graphic design/illustration/photography