At Sandy Hook, New Jersey a Swallow-tailed Kite was reported moving
north past the north tip on Friday, 5/27.  That trajectory could have
brought it to NY...
-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Not from New York, but well off Maine & Canada's coast, "Machias Seal
Island" experienced a modest fall-out earlier this week, and a
photographer was there - for those who haven't seen such an event,
here's how it can look. Some who have been on the island know how
small it is, perhaps 15 acres, at most.

All of the photos are by Ralph Eldridge (not an acquaintance) and are
from his photo-site (best viewed in the original size):

http://www.pbase.com/lightrae/image/135054460/original
http://www.pbase.com/lightrae/image/135054461
http://www.pbase.com/lightrae/image/135054462
http://www.pbase.com/lightrae/image/135054463
http://www.pbase.com/lightrae/image/135054464
http://www.pbase.com/lightrae/image/135054465
http://www.pbase.com/lightrae/image/135054466
http://www.pbase.com/lightrae/image/135054467
http://www.pbase.com/lightrae/image/135054468
http://www.pbase.com/lightrae/image/135054469
http://www.pbase.com/lightrae/image/135054470

That reminds me, in the morning of Wed., 5/25, I found several small
migrant birds along Riverside Drive's sidewalks (in NYC), seemingly
dazed and in some danger of wandering out into traffic - I actively
herded any that I found in potential danger back across into the
relative safety of the actual park's vegetation. At least one
individual (an Ovenbird) was nearly determined to try and risk its'
neck in traffic but I was happy to "convince" it to get in and under
cover in the park, which it did after a comical (folks walking along,
not sure what to make of me and the small bird they may or may not
have seen being 'herded' on) 15+ minutes... Common Yellowthroats and a
Magnolia Warbler were perhaps less dazed. & more easily went for the
habitat. It's a very small reminder of all that these migrants deal
with.

Good birding,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan