Hello All,

Debates over how a listserv should operate seem to pop up yearly on several
birding listservs in New York.  I have been listowner of Oneidabirds for
several years, but have stepped back from much responsibility the last
couple of years because it is difficult for me to deal with differing
opinions mixed with high emotions.  There will never be one listserv that is
going to meet the needs of every birder.  The suggestion has been made to
start a new listserv for reporting only rare birds.  I think this is an
excellent idea and should be attempted.  However, I think it is foolish to
assume that all members of the NYSBirds listserv will join simply because
not everyone wants a listserv only for finding rare birds.  I don't say this
to discourage someone from starting a new listserv but merely to give you an
idea of what to expect.  A new listserv will start small and will need time
to grow as it develops.  The members of this new 'rarebirds' listserv will
still need to monitor other listservs (NYSBirds and even local listservs)
for the purpose of tracking information about a rare bird.

Personally, I find birding to be a social activity.  While I enjoy studying,
observing, and photographing birds by myself, I have a deeper joy when I can
share sightings with my family, other birders, and ultimately get someone
hooked on birding who has never tried before.  I love to chase a rare bird,
but I find this to be a very selfish notion.  Becoming a member of NYSBirds
is being part of a community by following a few general guidelines.  It
should be simple.  I enjoy connecting the names of people I meet in the
field to their posts on this listserv.  Sure, there are many, many posts I
don't read and delete.  I don't find this a waste of my time.  It takes less
than a minute of my time each day, and if that produces the opportunity for
me to chase a rare bird then I consider it a good return on my time
invested.  Unfortunately, not everyone wants to invest in an online
community.  They view the Internet as a one way street of information into
their lives - and they want that information free, accurate, and instant -
tailored to their lifestyle.

To anyone starting a new listserv, I would suggest:
   setting up clear rules/guidelines
   be prepared to follow through when someone doesn't abide by the rules.
It will happen.
   advertise (ask local listservs if you could post a blurb about the list
you are starting)
   be patient... don't expect instant results (but rejoice if they occur)

I hope your listserv works.

Now, back to birding!  I had a fourth grader overjoyed to bring in and show
off an immature American Robin's wing to me at school yesterday.  I
explained how I could identify it by the still forming feathers, size, and
coloring.  A third grader was excited to report they heard a Gray Catbird in
their backyard after I pointed several out on a recent school field trip.
At my daughter's softball game last night I showed her team the Tree and
Barn Swallows catching insects in the outfield after they complained about
bug bites.  All boring and common events, but exciting to think they may
have helped get children hooked on getting excited about the natural world
around them.

Good birding, all!

Jody Hildreth
Waterville, NY