Thanks to everyone who has commented to me about this bird so far--your
contributions are very welcome.

Julian Hough sent me the following, with permission to post to the list:

I just recently saw photos of a bird at Minsmere, Suffolk, UK of a probable
longipennis Common Tern. A striking looking bird, this one with a slightly
shorter bill, but I agree that in the field their bills look similar in length
to hirundo. Longipennis records from Europe were non-existent until recently.
There was a recent record from the Black Sea coast of Turkey last (?) spring
which was the first record, but by coincidence I and several others saw three
apparent adult longipennis in the same area of Turkey back in ‘89.  The
significance of that record is just being realized with the report of the
recent Turkish individual and if accepted, would pre-date that occurrence by 2
decades!
The bill color and extensive grey suffusion to the underparts and blackish legs
of your bird all seem to fit with the descriptions of longipennis. I have seen
longipennis in China and although I’ve not studied them ad nauseum, I agree
that your bird and the UK bird are good candidates. The birds I recall from
China had a darker trailing edge to the underwing, along the inner secondaries,
that seemed to stand out more than on hirundo, although this could be down to
lighting. I’ll have to check notes, but I think I recall some birds also showed
some red at the base of their bills? I wasn’t aware of the tail pattern
differences. The pitfalls are those dark-billed Common Terns, but they
typically show reddish feet and the dark-billed birds are often the whitest
below due to wear. It would be interesting to know what the status is of this
race in the US since it may help form more of a pattern and help with their
separation from similar-looking darker-billed hirundo. I think also Mike
O’Brien had a similar bird at Stone Harbor point, NJ several years ago. A cool
set of shots!

Julian Hough,
CT, USA