July 31 - At Wood Marsh and Patty 2 there were 5 Hooded  Mergansers, 5
Lesser Yellowlegs, 2 Caspian Terns, and 7 Great Egrets. The Great  Egrets flew
east in the direction of the Great Blue Heron colony at the north  edge of
Hunter's Marsh (or Wood Marsh east).  Taking the long walk in, as I  got close
I could see 2 GBH and 4 GBH nests, but no Great Egrets so I turned  around
and walked out and hurried to Iroquois NWR.

At Iroquois I parked on Rt. 77 near the Feeder Road and walked  east on the
Feeder Road for 25 minutes (about a mile). About 200 yards in I was
surprised to see a Black tern carrying food. ( I thought these bird had  left
there breeding grounds two weeks ago.)  In the large open area past  the treed
section I saw nothing and continued another 200 yards, when I saw 51  Great
Egrets in flight flying west past me. I also so one still at the roost  still
about 200 yards northeast of me.

Although I was initially surprised that the egrets flushed  from there
roost when I was so far away, I have come to know this species as  very
skittish, wary, and antsy. This is not surprising because Great  Egrets in the
early
1900s were hunted on there colonies for there plumes to  near extinction.
Certainly only the Great Egrets in the gene pool with the most  skittish,
weary and antsy genes survived.

I find it difficult to understand why the NYSDEC in Region 9 has the
policy of shooting Double-crested Cormorants nesting at or near Great Egret or
Great Blue Heron Colonies. At the very least this is going to result in
increased rates of siblicide in Great Egrets (Mock).

Best Wishes for Great Birding,
Bill Watson
Tonawanda, NY