This evening I went to the wildflower preserve in Southampton Village which
was dedicated as open space as part of the Olde Towne subdivision.  This
wildflower field can be found at the intersection of Wickapogue Rd and Olde
Towne Rd, just Southeast of Southampton Hospital (note: parking can be
difficult and is restricted during certain hours on some of
the neighboring streets so pay attention to the signs if you plan on a
visit).  Over the last few years the developer has had workers plant
thousands of containers of (mostly) native plants which has become a haven
for insects and apparently now birds.  There was a substantial flock of
American Goldfinches feeding on the Purple Coneflowers on the southern
section of the wildflower field. It is difficult to estimate the number of
birds as they seemed to rotate in shifts from several trees but I'd guess at
least 50 birds were there.  Several sparrows popped up from the flowers from
time to time and it seemed as though most were Song Sparrows but I didn't
pay much attention to them and I would guess that a more skilled bird
identifier would be able to pick something more interesting out.  When I
went to leave I noticed two Cedar Waxwings hawking insects as well.  Also of
interest were at least 5 species of butterfly - surely a wonderful spot for
wildlife viewing on the outskirts of Southampton Village.

Photos of the birds and some butterflies can be seen here:
http://birdsoflongisland.blogspot.com/2011/08/american-goldfinches-and-butterflies.html

--
- Luke Ormand, Flanders

www.birdsoflongisland.blogspot.com