Times Beach 6:05 PM

Not much activity. Initially the only bird seen  was a lone Caspian  Tern.
waited a couple minutes, saw one  Ring-billed Gull and started  heading
back
to the car. I decided to  take another quick look, and found  a Great Egret
and Great Blue Heron.  About  75 yards from the car I saw a Gray Catbird,
American   Robin, and a male American Kestrel up in a snag  enjoying a
dragonfly.

Lake Erie in Woodlawn, NY (between Woodlawn Beach State Park  and the wind
turbines) 6:30

The first bird seen was a  Semipalmated Plover; a minute or  two later, I
saw a second  Semipalmated Plover. I was hoping for some sandpipers  of
some
sort,  but didn't see much beyond the ever present Ring-billed  Gulls (of
which
there were 21) and one juvenile Herring  Gull. The gulls were clustered  at
the mouth of a creek (possibly Smoke  Creek, but I don't have  complete
faith
in the map I am looking at).

Then, I noticed an odd  cluster of smaller birds just to the front and left

of the gulls. I  thought that there were five birds (turns out there were
six),  and my  first impulse was they must be some smaller gull species
(Bonaparte's   Gulls, or better yet, Little Gulls).

The sun was kind of low, and almost  directly behind the birds in question,

but upon seeing those long,  upturned bills, there was no questioning that
stumbled upon five (actually  six) American Avocet (a life bird  for me)!

My next thought was  "Where's my %$&^#*@ phone!" (in the car).  Three
tweens
were  palying on the beach, and I asked them to please keep an eye  on the
groups of smaller birds by the gulls, headed back to the car, got the
phone,
called Jim Horn and HM Bateman, left a message for Alec Humann,  and
headed
back to the beach, and saw not one stinking bird!

In  my absence, three older kids walked down the beach, scattering the
aforementioned birds. That got me to thinking "The sun was in your eyes,
they
probably weren't Avocets at all. Why don't you keep your phone on  you. Why

didn't you have someone else come along in the first  place?"

I called HM back, and told her that the birds flew the coop. She  said that

she and Jim were in the car, and might as well head down and  at least
catch
the  Semipalmated Sandpipers, if nothing else. While  waiting for HM and
Jim, I  spotted 11 Sanderlings and one Turkey   Vulture.

Jim and HM arrived at approximately 7:10 pm, and just as they  walked  on
the beach, the Avocets returned. All of us got pretty  good views,  and if
you couldn't tell, I was pretty  excited.

Feel free to get in touch off list should you need additional  information
on the location.

Joseph  Fell
Buffalo