At 4pm this afternoon I observed a Connecticut Warbler in Prospect Park. Maude
Brown and I were walking the dirt path on Lookout Hill that is just below the
Butterfly Meadow (Center Drive and the Quaker Cemetery are just below the slope
here) when we spotted a few warblers feeding in the understory. Flowering White
Snakeroot is the dominant plant on the upper slope in this location and we were
watching a Tennessee Warbler, 2 Common Yellowthroats and a Magnolia Warbler
feeding in the flowers only about a foot off the ground. The Connecticut
Warbler apparently was also feeding within this group and I spotted it when it
hopped up on a wooden snow fence near the top of the slope. It dropped back
into the flowers and we were unable to relocate it despite a long search. It is
interesting to note that this is only a short distance from where one was
reported by Rob Bate on Sunday, so perhaps the bird has just been circling the
woodlands of Lookout Hill.

Good birding,

Rob

The City Birder Weblog