On Monday Sue and I started our morning at Robert Moses State Park which,
except for a few warblers was quiet. We proceeded west down Ocean Parkway and
made a stop at Gilgo Beach, where for the last few years Forster's Terns have
been using the floating docks down at the west end of the marina as an early
fall roost (we observed thirty-five birds on the docks). As we were leaving we
noticed a bird sitting on the wire near the first home at the east end of the
Gilgo Beach parking area - Western Kingbird. The bird, an individual in worn
plumage, quickly flew toward the parkway and we could not relocate it. We then
proceeded to West End, where the previously reported Marbled Godwit was
sleeping on the sandbar. At the swale an immature American Golden Plover was
picking through the mud. Other shorebirds present in the swale and on the beach
included White-rumped, Semi, and Western Sandpipers.

Sue and I spent five days on Monhegan Island, Maine, a well known migrant trap
twelve miles east of Port Clyde, ME. Although we encountered no cold fronts and
birding was slow, we still managed Lark (3) and Clay-colored Sparrows (3),
Dickcissel (10), Philadelphia Vireo (2), Orange-crowned Warbler (1), Western
Kingbird (1) and Lapland Longspur (2). A few nice looks at Great Shearwater
were obtained on the ferry ride home. Photos of some Monhegan Island birds, as
well as juvenile White-rumped Sandpiper and the Gilgo Western Kingbird (poor
photo) can be found at my flickr website at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfeustel/

Ken & Sue Feustel