Sue had to attend a meeting on the Grassland Restoration Project at Caumsett
State Park this morning, so I tagged along to do some birding while she
attended to business. The recently plowed west field held about eighteen
American Pipits. Among the Savannah Sparrow and Palm and Yellow-rumped Warblers
was a single Vesper Sparrow. The brush pile to the northeast of the west field
had a good number of birds, including three Lincoln's Sparrows as well as a few
Nashville Warblers.

Sue rejoined me after her meeting and we proceeded to the manure pile just west
of the polo field. The fields of rank weeds (mostly invasive mile-a-minute)
were alive with warblers, mostly Yellow-rumped and Palm, but also including
Nashville, Parula, Blackpoll, Orange-crowned (1), and ten Tennessee Warblers
(conservative estimate). In the wet puddles around the manure windrows were
three Rusty Blackbirds. Many of the wingbar-less warblers (many immatures)
posed some interesting identification challenges. I have included in my flickr
site photos of Common Yellowthroat (with a big eye ring tempting you to turn it
into a Connecticut Warbler), drab immature Nashville Warblers, and a few
different plumages of Tennessee Warbler. They can be found at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfeustel/

Ken Feustel