Hello all,

Sorry this is somewhat belated, but here's my usual follow-up to Ron
Pittaway's great Winter Finch
Forecast. This is much more focused on just NY!  Again, a big thanks goes
out to Ron for his forecast!

PINE SISKIN: I expect moderate to perhaps large numbers throughout much of
NY, Northeast
and down the Appalachians. I don't expect big numbers at feeders (they will
be in the woods), and
numbers will build as we head into January-February with  widespread
nesting to follow March-May.
The Hemlock crop this year is the best I've seen it in 12+  years. Siskins
love hemlock!! They also use
spruce quite frequently, both natives and non-natives -- so,  they will be
common in state forests in
southern and central NY as well.  White pine, Tamarack and N.  White Cedar
are used too, but they seem
to stay away from the harder pines like Black, Scotts, Pitch, Red etc. I
expect there to be larger
numbers of breeding siskins in NY and the Northeast compared to the 2006-
07 breeding invasion.

REDPOLLS: I don't expect any here in NY except for a passing flock perhaps
somewhere across the
North Country. There could be a few more here and there as you head
northward. We had our redpoll
year last year.

RED CROSSBILL: I expect small to perhaps moderate numbers with numbers
peaking in February-April.
Look for nesting Jan-April across northern part of state (and New England),
and from February-June
southern part of the state. Small to perhaps moderate widespread numbers of
nesting Type 1 will be
fairly common at some state forests in central and southern NY Feb-June.
Type 10 will also be
widespread in small  numbers as they already are in the northern parts of
the state into New England.
Some type 10 will mix  in with Type 1 in central NY as well (Chris Wood and
I heard one back in July in
Pharsalia). Type 2 will be found here and there in the state as they
usually are most years (they are
usually less common than Type 10). The big question will be, will we get
the bigger  influx of Type 3
with additional Type 10 come December-March. I suspect we will get a pulse
of Type 3  and 10, but
how big the pulse will be the question. In upstate NY and New England, look
for smaller billed Types 3
and 10 feeding on hemlock and spruces, and Type 2 more on pines. However,
there can be great
dietary overlap here in the Northeast, especially as we get late in the
season. Look for Type 1 in Norway
spruce come March-June. Look for nesting Type 1 down the  Appalachians as
well. In the central and
southern Appalachians, focus searches in white pine and  hemlock
November-February, and then focus
searches in red, pitch, and shortleaf pine March-May. Overall, I expect
this years Red Crossbills
numbers to be similar to the 2006-07 NY invasion, which was a moderately
sized invasion.

WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL: As we go forth, I expect White-winged Crossbills to
slowly infiltrate the state with numbers peaking January-April. Look for
small to perhaps
moderate numbers of  widespread nesting birds  across northern NY (and into
New England)
starting January. If the invasion is big, we could get a spillover of a few
into state lands in central NY
like we have in past years --this wouldn't happen until January-February.
They mainly keep to spruce
species during nesting years. The  spruce crop is excellent on both native
and non-native spruces
across the state --they seem to prefer native spruces though. Food is too
widespread for this invasion
to be like 2000-01, but it will be as big if not bigger than the small
2006-07 nesting invasion.

EVENING GROSBEAK: In following Ron's forecast -- will we get our first back
to back invasion in NY
since 1990/1991-1991/1992. Spruce budworm is on the increase, and so
Evening Grosbeak numbers
are in the rise to some degree too. There have been subtle signs of this
for the past 2-3 years.  Will we
get a spillover of birds into central NY like we do most invasion years?
The white ash and  boxelder
crops are quite good, and so preferred wild food will be available for
Evening Grosbeaks if  they do
show. With high sunflower prices though, will anyone have their feeders
filled with sunflower this  year?
Time will tell.

PINE GROSBEAK: I don't expect any here in central NY, but there will
probably be a few in Northern
NY...... but they will be hard to find. Crops on fruiting trees are
generally quite good.

PURPLE FINCH: As is typical during great spruce crop years, I expect
moderate wintering (higher than
normal) numbers in NY  and New England this year. Also, given the white ash
crop is great, we should
see some here in central NY during winter as well. Like the Purple Finch,
Am. Goldfinch numbers are
also usually quite good in the north when spruce and hemlock crops are
good. I suspect both species
will be found in lower than usual numbers to the south of NY.

BOHEMIAN WAXWING: We had a very nice invasion last year, so I don't expect
a big invasion this year.  However, this bird has become annual in areas
like the St Lawrence and
Champlain Valleys across the northern third of the state. I expect a few in
these areas.

If anyone gets recordings of Red Crossbills, please contact me at:
m...@cornell.edu
You can record birds now with Iphones....at least recordings that can be
analyzed.

cheers,
Matt Young