Looking to bird somewhere out of the gusty SW wind, I headed up to
Sunken Meadow State Park on the north shore (Smithtown). The brush dump
adjacent to the northwest corner of closed parking field 1, and the
wet area immediately south of field 4, were the most productive areas.
The dump had 7 species of sparrow (Swamp most abundant, ~15), with the
highlights being a LINCOLN'S and a White-crowned. Other highlights were
a very drab first-fall DICKCISSEL (probably a female as it appeared to
lack any yellow at all), and 2 Indigo Buntings. The wet area at field 4
harbored 2 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS in the SW corner, as well as the only 2 Eastern
Phoebes I saw today. Up the hill through the picnic area to the west, two
large Eastern Red Cedars laden with fruit attracted good numbers of Robins,
Cedar Waxwings, and Yellow-rumped Warblers, plus a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
which hung upside down to feed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgluth_brb/

Sunken Meadow State Park, Suffolk, US-NY
Oct 15, 2011 9:10 AM - 1:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
47 species

Canada Goose  X
Mute Swan  X
Mallard  X
Double-crested Cormorant  X
Great Egret  1
Red-tailed Hawk  2
Sanderling  1
Laughing Gull  2
Ring-billed Gull  X
Herring Gull (American)  X
Great Black-backed Gull  X
Rock Pigeon  X
Mourning Dove  X
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Downy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  1
Eastern Phoebe  2
Blue Jay  X
American Crow  X
Fish Crow  X
Black-capped Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  1
Carolina Wren  2
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
American Robin  X
Gray Catbird  1
Northern Mockingbird  3
Cedar Waxwing  X
Common Yellowthroat  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  X
Eastern Towhee  3
Chipping Sparrow  2
Savannah Sparrow  2
Song Sparrow  10
LINCOLN'S SPARROW  1
Swamp Sparrow  16
White-throated Sparrow  5
White-crowned Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  X
Indigo Bunting  2
DICKCISSEL  1     A very drab bird, with no discernible yellow anywhere in
its plumage.
Red-winged Blackbird  5
RUSTY BLACKBIRD  2
Common Grackle  X