At approx. 11:00AM this morning I discovered an Ash-throated Flycatcher on the
Fisherman's access road. Specifically, at the point where the access road opens
up to reveal Jones Inlet on the right. The bird was feeding low along the shrub
line on the south side of the road, hawking insects and eating the fruits of
Bayberry, and being harassed by a Mockingbird (anybody up for opening a season
on Mockingbirds?). Typical of the fall Ash-throated Flycatchers I have observed
in the past the bird never perched higher than five feet off the ground. The
overall shape of the bird was a small-billed, long tailed, slim Myiarchus. The
head showed a crest, and the throat was whitish and the upper breast was a
whitish gray. The lower belly and undertail coverts were yellow, the yellow
being more intense than most fall Ash-throated's I have seen, which may have
been a function of the overcast day, which tends to enhance color (just as a
bright sun washes color out). The entire undertail was reddish brown and the
terminal portion of the undertail was a darker reddish brown than the rest of
the tail. The whitish-gray upperparts eliminated Great Crested and the small
bill eliminated both Great-crested and Brown-crested Flycatchers (M. crinitus
and M. tyrannulus), while the entirely  reddish underparts on the tail rule out
Dusky-capped Flycatcher (M. tuberculifer). At one point the bird did pose for
me at distance of  less than twenty feet, but unfortunately, my camera chose
this moment to malfunction (the battery was not seated properly, hence no
power). Attempts to relocate the bird were unsuccessful,one birder missed
seeing the bird by five minutes. Wednesday weather looks pretty miserable
-perhaps the bird will stick around.

Also in the general area was an Orange-crowned Warbler and Ruby-crowned
Kinglet. The two Marbled Godwits continue, feeding on the mud flats on the
south side of Meadow Island.

As Shane Blodgett indicated in an earlier post, there was a major seabird
movement this morning along the south shore that included Red-throated Loon,
Scoter and Gannet. I joined Shai Mitra earlier in the morning at Fire Island
Field 5 to witness the spectacle. Suffice to say that RTL numbers were in the
thousands as were total Scoter numbers. One would think that with all these
birds present something interesting would appear. However, other than six flyby
Razorbills that were seen shortly after Shai left, nothing notable appeared.

Ken Feustel