On an afternoon stroll yesterday along the High Line on the West Side of 
Manhattan (from 23-28 st in this case), I saw more birds than I expected. 
There's an art installation of bird shelters and feeders at 23rd st that 
several species were taking advantage of, including Mourning Doves, 
White-throated Sparrows, and a Common Yellowthroat that presumably didn't care 
about the feeders but enjoyed the company.

Further north a murmuration of Starlings alerted me to the presence of a 
predator: a Cooper's Hawk, which took an unsuccessful pass at them. A feisty, 
tiny falcon in turn started to harass the hawk. It was most likely an American 
Kestrel, but might have been a Merlin (I was uncharacteristically without my 
binoculars).

Good birding,

Gabriel Willow
NYC Audubon
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to