John Haas, and all,

A fantastic report, clear photos, and a very rough hike for anyone not
accustomed to winter climbs in the region (high peaks of Catskill
Mountains)... the old Gorham, Maine FEEDER record gives (dim) hopes of
an easier way, with this one... ('seed-trail' down to the nearest
accommodating birder's or bird-feeding enthusiast's home, or even a
trailhead at road-side feeder... oh, well - you never know...;-)   It
will be fascinating to hear if any intrepid and well-prepared and in-
shape birders add to this recent report...  Interesting too on the old
NY report.

thanks to John for his research - and it is certainly a rare
'vagrant'.  As some know, Sandia Crest in New Mexico is one of the
less-difficult ways to seek three North American "Rosy-finch" species!

Below, from the official NYS Bird Checklist, the FULL list available
via NYSOA's website at: http://www.nybirds.org/Publications/ChecklistNYS.htm
   (*codes are explained within that page)

(No Rosy-finches in this or other sections of the current, "official"
NY state bird check-list):
Family Fringillidae — Finches and Crossbills
Brambling Fringilla montifringilla (N)
Pine Grosbeak Pinicola enucleator
Purple Finch Carpodacus purpureus *
House Finch C. mexicanus (I) *
Red Crossbill Loxia curvirostra *
White-winged Crossbill L. leucoptera *
Common Redpoll Acanthis flammea
Hoary Redpoll A. hornemanni (D)
Pine Siskin Spinus pinus *
American Goldfinch S. tristis *
European Goldfinch Carduelis carduelis (IE) *
Evening Grosbeak Coccothraustes vespertinus *
<<<<<<<

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan