After having no luck in the early morning, the Mt. Bluebird was seen again
early this afternoon along the line of snow fence in the farm field on the N/E
corner of the intersection of NYS Rt. 25A and Hulse Landing Road. It also flew
across the road to the field on the south side of Rt 25A, perching high in the
Cedars. At Enterprise Park in Calverton (a.k.a. the old Grumman property) there
were fifteen Eastern Meadowlarks and six Eastern Bluebirds in the vicinity of
the runways.

We had learned of an immature Red-headed Woodpecker recently observed at Camp
Baiting Hollow on Sound Avenue. We checked out the site, parking at an unmarked
parking lot east of the main entrance to the Camp on the north side of Sound
Avenue, and taking a trail beginning on the north side of the parking area. We
recorded four species of woodpecker, but no Red-headed. The habitat seems prime
for the species (large oaks with a sparse understory) and would be worth
checking again.

Ken Feustel