This afternoon, Clara Montenegro and I returned to the Beacon Train
Station as has been our ritual for the past week.  Earlier in the week we had
an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull along with a first year Iceland.  The
following day, we had 2 first year Iceland Gulls and a first year Glaucous.
Yesterday morning we had the Glaucous only but returned in the afternoon to
find 3 first year Iceland Gulls.  Today was grand prize, as we found and adult
Slaty-backed Gull which we viewed and photographed from approx. 4-4:30PM.
      A few things to know before coming.  Each morning, the gulls that have
roosted on the ice, lift off around 7-7:15 and fly to mid river or to a dump
east of here at one of the State Prisons that are along Rt. 84.  There is NO
access to this dump and mid river, puts the gulls at about 1 mile away.  Each
afternoon has been the most productive, as the birds re-appear around 3 and
continue doing so almost until dark (roughly 5PM).
       There are several ways into the Beacon Train Station.  The southernmost
entrance crosses over the train tracks and brings you along the river.  When
you get to a point where the platform is easily viewed on your right, you will
notice a series of buildings on your left.  Continue past the buildings and you
will see a small cove immediately on you left as well.  At that point, you
should be within 15 feet of the water.  You will see the group of Gulls in this
area.

Good Luck if you go,
                                  Curt McDermott