My friend Mark Schwartz reported he saw a flock of 4 Monk Parakeets in
Freeport, NY yesterday afternoon.  I went to Shawangunk Grasslands NWR with my
friend Scott Perry yesterday late afternoon and saw some good stuff but no
owls.  We had 3+ Rough-legged Hawks, 3 Red-tailed Hawks, 8+ Northern Harriers,
6+ Eastern Meadowlarks, and many Red-winged Blackbirds.  There were also
atleast 100 White-tailed Deer in the newly churned up areas of the refuge.  I
hadn't seen that many deer together in years.  Of course they got spooked when
some moron hunter went walking along the edge and back of the property.

Andrew

Andrew v. F. Block
Consulting Naturalist/Wildlife Biologist
37 Tanglewylde Avenue
Bronxville, Westchester Co., New York 10708-3131
Phone: 914-337-1229; Cell: 914-319-9701; Fax: 914-771-8036