Tom Moran and I started today by checking on the pair of C.Ravens which are
nesting on the water tower in Hampton Bays,Suffolk Co. We initially found one
of the birds calling from an electric transmission line tower, that runs along
the railroad tracks just n/o the H.B. Water District property. The 2nd bird
arrived in short order and proceeded to feed it's mate - unfortunately, I was a
bit late in putting it down for posterity.
Shinnicock Inlet was next, where we had 3 Great Cormorants and a total of ~ 175
C.Eiders, 7 in the inlet itself, with the remaining all out near the
"sand-spit" in the middle of the bay. While we were counting those first seen
out by the "spit", a larger group of ~ 125 eiders came flying in and landed...a
most impressive sight!
We then headed west along Dune Rd. and picked up our FOS A.Oystercatchers (2)
at Road K. Our next birds of interest came at Cupsogue Co. Pk., where we had ~
10 N.Gannets, a N.Harrier, our FOS Osprey, as well as 4 more oystercatchers.
The gannets put on quite a show as they rocketed down repeatedly into the water
while feeding.
We also had a single Turkey Vulture flying over the duck farm in Aquebogue.
Cheers,  Bob