I take the A train across Jamaica Bay twice a day now on my way to an from
work.  This past week, I noticed an influx of dozens of egrets, and have also
seen both species of Night Heron.  I've also seen at least one Lesser
Black-Backed Gull and an Iceland Gull.  These birds seem to congregate on what
is known as "Subway Island" and cannot be seen from the usual spots in or near
the refuge.  I also saw a male Ring-Necked Pheasant next to the tracks just
south of the Howard Beach-JFK station last week.

There were several species of duck present up until last week.  Now I only see
a Bufflehead or two and some Mallards during my commute.

Christina Wilkinson