Sue and I spent a few hours this morning birding the trails south of Southard's
Pond in the Village of Babylon. Highlights included Palm Warbler (5),
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (1), Hermit Thrush (2), and Winter Wren (1). Pine Warblers
were missed entirely. We were hoping for Louisiana Waterthrush (this area is
prime habitat), but no luck.

Birding Odds n' Ends

There has been an immature Bald Eagle hanging out the last few days at Sunken
Meadow State Park, much to the chagrin of the local Ospreys. A walk down the
West End jetty yesterday was unproductive. We did not see a single Piping
Plover, subsequently discovering that there were eighteen on the Pt. Lookout
side. There were good numbers of both Common and Red-throated Loons in the
inlet, and a gorgeous breeding plumage Horned Hrebe. Gannets were feeding well
inside the inlet, observed opposite the WE2 boat basin - apparently now an
annual early spring event.  In the median we had four species of butterflies, a
male Checkered White, American Copper, Clouded Sulphur, and Cabbage White, and
no mosquitoes!

Good Birding,

Ken & Sue