A Queens County Bird Club walk at Alley Pond Park in Queens, led by Eric
Miller turned out quite the crowd with somewhere around 24 folks in
attendance.  The huge crowd, no doubt attracted to the current Alley Pond
Park star, a Yellow-throated Warbler that was found on Thursday by Bobby
Kurtz.  The YTWA did not disappoint and put in quite the show giving all
those in attendance excellent looks.

In addition to the YTWA, other highlights included, several Rusty
Blackbirds (conservative count was 8-9), Swamp Sparrow, Black-and-white
Warbler, Great Horned Owl, many Pine and Palm Warblers, many Brown
Creepers, 5 species of Woodpeckers, both Kinglets and a Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher that was seen by only a few.  Despite the "good birding" that
many referred to, I could not help but notice that the number of birds
seemed to be down from Thursday when Pine Warblers seemed to be
everywhere.  On that day, we also had several Yellow-rumped Warblers, and a
Louisiana Waterthrush, neither of which were seen today.

A note on the Yellow-throated Warbler.  Today, the bird was again heard
singing by a few of us; the song varied between incomplete to complete, but
it was softly sung and unless one was really attentively listening for the
song, it could easily be missed.  Hopefully the bird sticks around for more
folks to see it, as today we witnessed many birders from across the
boroughs show up in hopes of getting a look.

Reporting for QCBC!

Andrew Baksh
Queens, NY
www.birdingdude.blogspot.com