A cold morning began at Southard's Pond in Babylon Village where there was
little evidence of migration other than a few Pine Warblers. The next stop was
a sea watch at Robert Moses State Park Field 2. A first glance revealed the
ocean covered with Northern Gannets - overwhelmingly adults. I estimated 3,200
birds off Field 2. At Hempstead Lake State Park there were a few Pine Warblers,
Rusty Blackbirds (five observed, more heard), and Blue-winged Teal (3). Upon
returning home an Orange-crowned Warbler was singing in our backyard followed
shortly after by a noisy group of four Monk Parakeets heading east.

Ken Feustel