An UPLAND SANDPIPER was on the Long Meadow ball fields at dawn this
morning. It was just after 6:00, and still dim on the field, with the
sun not yet over the tree line. I was walking up the middle of the
field when the bird flushed (or perhaps it was just coming down) from
the direction of diamonds 5 & 6, crossing the field and setting down
near diamond 2. It walked a few paces, then made two more short
flights, passing around me at close range and landing about 20 yards
away, providing definitive looks before it again took flight. This
time it gained altitude and headed north, where I lost it behind the
elms near the Upper Pool. I walked up and down the length of the
meadow and checked out Nellie’s Lawn, but couldn’t find it again. I
returned to the original spot and had a brief thrill when I again saw
a shorebird flying north over the meadow, but this time it turned out
to be a WILSON’S SNIPE. Shortly thereafter I came upon a SOLITARY
SANDPIPER behind the Lower Pool; along with a couple of Spotted
Sandpipers that made for four shorebird species, probably the most
I’ve had on one day in Prospect. Spotted is the only one that’s ever
common in the park; according to Peter Dorosh’s blog, this is the
first record of Upland since 4/22/1950.

As far as passerines go, it was a fairly slow day, with the
highlights being WORM-EATING and PRAIRE WARBLERS, and a RUSTY BLACKBIRD.

Good birding,

Alex Wilson

Brooklyn