Friday, 27 April, 2012 - Bryant Park, [mid-town] Manhattan, N.Y. City

For those who may not see the report, the PROTHONOTARY Warbler has
been seen this Friday morning by at least one regular at Bryant Park,
Matthew Rymkiewicz.  He notes that it was in the London Plane trees,
not too high when he saw it, just west of the plant holding area (that
is nearer W. 40 Street, and not far from the west side (the rear) of
the NY Public Library main branch building, or, in the SE portion of
the main section of Bryant Park - it's a rather small area where new
plants are held as well as some tools etc. are kept.)  Matthew R. also
noted Wood Thrush, and Yellow Warbler - these last plus the
Prothonotary not seen by me in a 45-minute look around at about 9:45 -
10:30 a.m. - I did however see at least 2, possibly 3 Black-and-white
Warblers, and a N. Parula (very high in the s. side Plane trees) as
well as the Ovenbird, 2 Palm Warblers and a few "non-Protho." (not
yellowish at all) warblers extrewmely high and in poor light, possibly
Yellow-rumped but not sure, although Matthew did report that latter
species as well as some other birds of interest including a Savannah
Sparrow, which I missed... It also seemed to me that Hermit Thrushes
were fewer today, although I did see a few... and I also noticed 4
Gray Catbirds in one view at one point, a possible up-tick in their
numbers.

If going for the Prothonotary be prepared top work a bit to find it
and do have at least one scan around the large fountain area - it's a
species that has that obvious affinity for water, even in an odd
setting (for it) such as Bryant Park seems (and that one in fall that
lingered did not seem to find it's way towards potential water while
it was in front of the library...)

Thanks to Matthew R. (& others) for the[ir[ reporting (his came via
ebirdsnyc, a Yahoo-Groups list) - and sighting again!

Central Park is doing all right in a windy day, with some apparent
influx, but not what anyone would call a really big new influx.  More
later, as things are still being seen and sorted through (the usual
scads of Yellow-rumped Warblers, amongst other lovelies)...

Good luck,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan