A cool, breezy morning at SMSP yielded a paltry number of migrants.
Fortunately, SMSP has a good variety of breeding birds which kept us occupied.
Four species of swallow were observed, including Bank, Rough-winged, Barn , and
Tree (all breed at SMSP). Orchard Orioles put on a good show, with four
observed singing along Sunken Meadow Creek. Our FOY Spotted Sandpiper was also
along Sunken Meadow Creek, as well as our first Chimney Swifts. Waterfowl
included both Blue-winged and Green-winged Teal as well as a few late
Ring-necked Ducks. Yellow Warblers and Warbling Vireos are now present in
numbers at SMSP, while migrant warblers included Black-throated Green, Palm,
Black &White, and Yellow-rumped. After the early warm weather this Spring, the
recent cool weather appears to have stunted migration somewhat here in western
Suffolk County. Nevertheless, Spring arrival dates for our yard continue to be
a week to two weeks ahead of schedule.

Good Birding to All,

Ken & Sue Feustel