I did some seawatching this afternoon (4:00-4:45) at Robert Moses State Park
from the Field 2 pavilion. Among the steady stream of primarily eastbound
N. Gannets (80% imm-subadult/20% adult) I observed 3 PARASITIC JAEGERS--
a single bird followed less than 10 minutes later by 2 birds traveling
together. All three were only ~100 yards offshore, providing decent scope
views. No other pelagic species were sighted (was hoping for an early Sooty
Shearwater). Other seabirds seen included Common (3) and Red-throated (1)
loons, Laughing, Herring, and Great Black-backed gulls, and Common Terns.
Before beginning the seawatch, I observed 3 PIPING PLOVERS inside the
cordoned-off upper beach south of the golf course--2 females incubating
inside predator exclosures, and 1 male that scurried to hide behind a
piece of driftwood.