At 2:30 this afternoon, a White-winged Dove flew past me as I walked
northward from Field 2 of Jones Beach-West End along the western exit road.
It was about 3 feet above ground, came past about 15-20 feet from me, and
continued eastward about 100 feet before disappearing from view around the
shrubs and pines that border the parking field. The white crescent across
the middle of each wing was conspicuous. I also noted the blunt tail with
white outer tips, and reddish brown tinge in the upper tail coverts and
tail feathers. I could not find the bird when I searched for it afterward,
but I cannot rule out the possibility that it flew into the pines and
stayed out of view.

Four Gull-billed Terns were among the terns on the sand bar near the
Coast-Guard station parking lot.

Douglas Futuyma
Stony Brook, NY