The Kentucky Warbler was actively singing this morning at is usual spot in the
northeastern part of the RPNRMA. Dan Heglund, Bob May, Byron Young and I heard
the bird calling repeatedly and we watched as it actively flitted around
chasing other birds including American Redstarts and Black-and-white warblers.
I did have a brief five second view of the bird as it called but for the most
part it remained out of sight as it called.

I then went on a hike in the heat along the blue, red, and yellow marked hiking
trail in the northeastern part of the Rocky Point property. I saw a Wood Pewee,
Scarlet Tanager, quite a few Pine Warblers, American Redstarts (seems to be a
common nesting bird here), Red-eyed Vireo, Black-capped Chickadee, and Tufted
Titmouse. However, the delightful surprise of the day for me was staring
eyeball-to-eyeball with a roosting Southern Flying Squirrel that was in a head
high cavity in a broken over Sassafras tree.  Its the first flying squirrel
I've seen in more than a decade.......

John Turner